This week was not an easy one. For a moment, I was broken!
Here’s the thing about being broken - our parents taught us to fight, to take that shot, to never give up, and often times I’d hear there are no traffic jams on the extra mile. The front of our fridge was packed with positive quotes growing up and saying I can’t was often times an excuse that just led to more running on the court or track. In fact, one of the many quotes on our fridge read - “I can do anything I put my mind to.” - Mike Ditka.
As I sat there broken this past week at the powerlessness I felt within the realm of our mental health challenges - I cried and cried and wondered how in this day and age could our mental health system be so broken - almost non-existent. Through my tears, I laughed, I smiled, I got mad, and I fought like hell for LOVE! And although my heart was breaking at what I was fighting for I didn't give up. I knew I couldn't. Not. This. Time.
This is what Fighting for LOVE looks like in our family. The picture on the left is us dropping our 16 year old off at a long term care facility so that she can FIGHT like hell and win this battle against Frontal Lobe Dysfunction and all the nasty not so exciting things that come with this hidden disease! The picture on the right gets me! Every. Time. My husband is crying because Ashley got him a bag of Hot Tamales at the candy store. She doesn't always communicate her emotions to us and one of the ways she usually does is through gifts and/or music. She doesn't often tell us she is sad or that she loves us but in these little moments -- we just know.
Last week I was broken. Today I'm bent, no longer broken.
Life is good. Even on the toughest days, I still know that this life is good.


No comments:
Post a Comment