I used to count the days to your birthday wishing it would come fast so I could start calling you two instead of one, three instead of two, etc... and now the thought of you turning NINE just creates a river of tears and turns on an emotion like never before. I'm not sure if the emotion is being magnified because I'm watching TV shows where kids are going off to college or the fact that a few of the Taylor Swift songs you play are songs about "the best days" and to "never grow up" or if it's that maybe I consider nine to be the halfway point.

Whatever the case may be, I don't LIKE it. I am now ready to put the brakes on and really wanting to cherish every single little moment. OK....don't get me wrong, I am still the normal mom that wants you to stop whining, make your own breakfast, get your own clothes for school, etc... but I am now also the mom that takes a photo every time you are asleep, stares at you in my rear view mirror and smiles at you because you put too many bubbles in the bathtub and you are calling for help because you can't see.
I am trying to do less whining about the little things because as I told daddy this week, those are going to be the exact things I will miss the day you leave for college. I know I am going to beat myself up on the day you leave for not loving all those little things you do when I had the chance.
So, I am trying and I am taking it all in. I also took a trip down
memory lane and found photos from your past birthdays. They happened so
fast, I barely had the chance to enjoy you during those moments. Life
happened so fast, I never actually had the chance to print any of the
photos out from your parties and I'm now trying to pull little tidbits from each celebration. I've put my greatest memories below. I'm not sure how you remember them but want you to always know how I did.
 |
| Your 1ST Birthday! I made the cake...and it was the last cake I ever made. We celebrated at our house and the thought of you getting cake on your shirt made me sick to my stomach. I soon got over this and now allow you to get whatever you like on your shirt. | |
|
|
|
Your 2ND Birthday! On your second birthday, we celebrated at home and had a Strawberry Shortcake Theme. We invited kids from the daycare and family. Herkie and Josabi even made their way to San Antonio to celebrate. (Looking for a photo)
Your 3RD Birthday! We secured your party at a place where you could bring the outdoors-in. There were playground sets, bouncers, etc... We even had a friend dress up as Dora the Explorer, your favorite. You were terrified of the costume though and would have nothing to do with it. (Looking for a photo)
Your 4th Birthday! We had a BALL on your 4th birthday and invited friends to come dressed as a prince, ballerina or princess. We transformed the dining room into a princess themed event and served lasagna and salad. (Looking for a photo)
 |
| Your 5TH Birthday at Mimi & Herkie's. We managed to throw a small birthday party for you and Lucas during Thanksgiving at Mimi and Herkie's. It was small but you had so much fun celebrating with your cousins. |
 |
| Your 5TH Birthday! We had it at Josabi's on a cold Sunday afternoon.
You invited your friend, Arden and family. We took you to PartyCity and
you picked various decorations of interest. (none of them matched and
that was ok. |
 |
| Your 6th Birthday! We had it at Josabi's on a cold Sunday afternoon.
The Toadies were scheduled to play on stage that night and they did
their sound check during your party. When they weren't sound checking,
you played Hannah Montana and had a chocolate/candy themed party. Your guests were able to make candy necklaces, pass the candy, pin the lollipop on Ashley and had their faces painted with various candy designs. You
invited your entire kindergarten class and your family. You received your first guitar on this birthday and it
was a purple Hannah Montana guitar. The Toadies were the first band to
sign it. |
 |
| Your 7TH Birthday. We had your 7th Birthday at BIG'Z Burgers and you invited family and a few friends from school. You waited for Gage to arrive for most of the party and had an ICarly birthday cake. You were so busy playing soccer and tag on the grassy field you forgot to eat your cake. |
|
 |
| Your 8TH Birthday was at Skateland West. You invited your family and your BFF, Kierstan. You had a lot of fun and almost won Limbo out on the floor. You opened your presents only to stop halfway through so you and your guests could participate in the fast skate. |
We are now on the cusp of your 9th birthday and your ideas of how and where to celebrate your birthday have changed about a 100 times. Some of the things you have mentioned over the year are a birthday party at Chuck e Cheese, the bowling alley, the roller rink, your house, a hotel, and your most recent, a request to take three friends to Disney World. You have specified that you would like doughnuts delivered to school instead of cupcakes. I'm not sure where we'll end up but one thing I do know for sure is that I will enjoy each and every moment I have with you on your special day.
No comments:
Post a Comment