Friday, August 24, 2012

changing lanes

ah...SUMMER, where did you go?  It was just June 1st, and Ashley & I were down at the hair salon preparing for our summer cuts and celebrating the most expensive birthday ever with a shiny toy guns concert at josabi's.  Your days were numbered and your nights in years past lingered on so long, I felt like the school year would never start again.  This time though, you came and left so fast,  I couldn't even shift gears.

This year, as I reflect on yet another summer, I am EXHAUSTED!  Yes, the summer went quickly; however, it took everything I had to give and then some.  As usual, we prepared a fun-filled summer for Ashley and this years camp experience was unlike any other summer.  For some reason, Ashley couldn't complete a summer camp.  We soon realized, Ashley actually enjoys just hanging out with mom and dad.  Can you believe that?  What child would rather be with their parents then at a camp?  It's unheard of, but definitely not unexpected with our little one!

So as you can imagine, the most energetic child EVER, was by our side each and everyday for about 90% of our summer. Fortunately for us, we have careers that allow flexibility, late nights and well....the hard part - a child that loves early mornings!

Keeping up with our energetic Ashley is like changing lanes in rush hour traffic; you have to be alert and get to where you're going as quickly and safely as possible, all while trying to prevent road rage or accidents along the way.

Some days are more challenging than others; however, as each summer passes, I am able to look back and think about all the little blessings we have in our life and how the time together is remembered.  Thank goodness for cameras as it helped document the good times from the SUMMER of 2012.

This summer was filled with MANY, MANY trips to Fiesta Texas, Chuck E Cheese,



the neighborhood pool, and the skating rink.


We also added a Lemonade Stand to the list of summer fun,

a visit to See the WNBA's Silver Stars at the AT&T Center, 

Splash Town and Dave & Busters

along with birthday parties, a full season of basketball with the Y, photoshoots, two trips to L'Auberge in Louisiana and of course a few good camps!




My brother visited in late June/early July and we spent many days running around the city together.  We ventured to the circus (Fully Charged) , spent an entire day at Sea World and even managed to slide in some bowling!


We spent some days visiting my grandma.  We played Chinese checkers, sewed on patches and just had fun.  She even took us to Dinner at Chili's.


We managed to have lunch with a few special people: The Jansky Family & Papa.

This years annual 4th of July parade in Castroville was Ashley's favorite to date as she was allowed to have her cousins and friends from Girl Scouts on the float.  A new tradition was started on the 4th of July and included a celebration with family and friends as well as the most amazing assortment of fireworks an 8-year-old could imagine!

And the 10% of the time when Ashley wasn't with us, John & I celebrated our 10-year-anniversary, I took a trip to Georgia to meet my dad's relatives (mine too) for the first time EVER, attended a JLo & Enrique concert, conquered two spazmatics concerts at Josabi's, rocked out at our 4th annual RockLobster Fest, saw my favorite band from the 90's, Candlebox, & did a few photo sessions for families, a newly engaged couple, newborns and 1-year-olds.

I am thankful for the time we had this summer and also thankful that school is back in session on Monday.  While Summer in the Jansky house is full of fun and good times, there is also work to be done and riding roller coasters and sliding down water slides is getting tougher and tougher the older we get.  I'm sure John and I will continue to ride these roller coasters, make silly faces, and visit clowns at the circus for as long as we are able and as long as she lets us.

We will continue to live summer LIFE to the fullest each and everyday, even if it means changing lanes during rush hour traffic!

No comments: